[SR-Dev] git:master: Merge ssh://git.sip-router.org/sip-router into my_branch

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul andrei at iptel.org
Tue Nov 25 20:45:10 CET 2008

On Nov 25, 2008 at 13:54, Henning Westerholt <henning.westerholt at 1und1.de> wrote:
> On Monday 24 November 2008, Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul wrote:
> > [..]
> > > So what is the correct revision that needs to be reverted?
> > >
> > > from git log mem/mem.h: f34610e3ec970664efab940592dd2cbd0f48260b
> > > from the commit mail: 8d41196809f014e00346785b6517bd2c4051901a
> >
> > Maybe I've got you wrong: do you want to revert the mem.h changes? the
> > merge log commit message? the whole merge?
>
> Hi Andrei,
>
> i'm sorry, but i need to bother you again with my git problems. I reverted the
> commit in question correctly, i think. Now i simply want to merge this
> branch. I tried a few times like you described, and also on a fresh checkout:
>
> git clone ssh://git.sip-router.org/sip-router
> cd sip-router
> git branch trie origin/henning/trie
> Branch trie set up to track remote branch refs/remotes/origin/henning/trie.
>
> git diff master trie
>
> Shows correctly my changes, and also some other unrelated stuff because of the
> master branch advanced after the branching.
>
> git branch -a
> * master
>
> git merge trie
> Already up-to-date.
>
> Why this don't work? Perhaps something wrong in my configuration? Trying to
> merge directly from the remote branch also not work:

Your configuration is ok. I was wrong recommending git revert for this,
I think it can't work, because it tries to merge, sees that trie was
merged in the past and then it tries to merge only what's new on trie
since the past merge...

Sorry, I think git revert is not good for undoing a merge commit. It
does undo the code changes, but it leaves the merge in the history and
so future merges with the same branch think the branch was already
merged.

I don't know if this can be done in another way, but for now I'm going
to reset master to the commit just before the merge (7e69be).
I'll send a message on sr-dev after I do it and then you could retry
 the merge from the beginning.

Andrei

[...]