[sr-dev] Initial DB Merge Proposal

Jan Janak jan at ryngle.com
Wed Sep 23 03:41:47 CEST 2009

Hello everybody,

If we ever want to proceed to merging individual modules, we will need
to address differences in our database schemas, because many modules
depend on them. I would like to start the discussion off, so I
prepared an initial proposal for the merge. You can find the HTML
version of the document here:

  http://iptel.org/jan/db_merge

Plain text version of the document is attached to this e-mail. It is a
long document (90k) and you don't have to read it all. The document
consists of two major parts.

In section "Concepts" I have tried to describe some of the techniques
and concepts we use in the new SER database schema. I only described
things that we do differently now than Kamailio or older SER versions.
I also tried to work in a bit of historic perspective so that we know
how things evolved, what worked and what didn't and so on.

In the second part of the document I went through all SER and Kamailio
tables and tried to capture everything that came to my mind regarding
differences, merge proposals, purpose of the tables, and so on. For
most table I also tried to write down an initial merge proposal along
compatibility considerations.

I classified all the tables from both schemas into five groups:
  * Easy tables: Tables in this group are very easy to marge, usually
no changes are required.

  * UID tables: This is a group of tables where we might need to do
small changes in the table defintion
    mainly related to UIDs (unique user identifiers)--if we decide to
use them in sip-router.

  * Other tables: A bunch of tables where we need to be careful with merging.

  * Undecided tables: I have no opinion on tables from this group yet,
usually because I do not understand
    what are they really used for.

  * serweb tables: SER database schema has a number of tables that
only serweb uses.

Please note that this is nothing more than an initial draft proposal
and as such it is likely to be biased towards SER database schema.
Also the language in the document is not as polished as it should be
and there are parts that are probably hard to read, I haven't had the
time to edit it yet, I'm sorry.

It would be really great if we could discuss at least part of it at
the next meeting in Berlin and if people think that we should proceed
with this type of work then we can perhaps start merging some of the
easy tables. I also prepared a presentation for the stuff in section
"Concepts", it takes about 30 minutes and if we have a slot on the
agenda then I would like to present it.

Hopefully the document will be useful, I welcome any feedback or questions!

   Jan.