[sr-dev] about contact params

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Fri Nov 26 14:50:37 CET 2010

2010/11/26 Juha Heinanen <jh at tutpro.com>:
>> This is a complex grammar in the RFC 3261, and there have been long
>> discussions about it in sip-implementors maillist, you can search for
>> them if you want.
>
> i don't want, but it is really strange that there is such a bug in the
> grammar that has not been fixed by some other rfc.

It's not a bug in the grammar. The BNF grammar is not the only source
of specification. For example, RFC 3261 BNF states that Contact header
can contain a "*" chat as value, but the "Registration" section
defines that it can only be used for deŕegistering all the contacts.

>> Yes, of course, but then it CANNOT contain URI params, just header
>> params.
>
> that is just your opinion that so far you have not based on any fact in
> rfc3261.

Isn't it enough?:

Section 20:

 The Contact, From, and To header fields contain a URI.  If the URI
 contains a comma, question mark or semicolon, the URI MUST be
 enclosed in angle brackets (< and >).  Any URI parameters are
 contained within these brackets.  If the URI is not enclosed in angle
 brackets, any semicolon-delimited parameters are header-parameters,
 not URI parameters.

Juha, I ensured it to you because I spent long time with it some time
ago, but in a first try I couldn't find the RFC 3261 section in which
this is defined. Now you already have it.

Regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc at aliax.net>