[sr-dev] Status of outbound support

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 13:20:00 CET 2012

Hello,

On 12/6/12 11:44 AM, Peter Dunkley wrote:
> Hi Olle,
>
> I haven't had any time for the last few months to work on outbound.
> So there is some module boiler plate and a set of notes (attached) at
> the moment and not much more.
>
> I have a requirement for outbound myself for early next year, so will
> be picking it up again soon, but there is little to no chance of it
> making it into Kamailio 3.4.
>
> One thing that would speed up the development of outbound is if
> someone else (who knows about the internals of the registrar and
> usrloc modules) took on the tasks relating to those.  These are
> basically:
>
>   * Handle multiple registrations with same instance ID but difference
>     reg-id (may already be supported)

this should be supported, there is no unique key on instance only and
reg-id is saved -- in the worst case, the required changes are very small.

>   * Have registrar populate an AVP array (specified as a modparam),
>     ordered by reg-id, when a lookup() is performed - similar to
>     dispatcher (but don't break parallel and serial forking) - set $du
>     to first contact in the AVP array.

This one can be also easily added, we have t_load_contacts() which
serializes the contact records based on Q value. It has to be extended
to work on reg-id:

http://kamailio.org/docs/modules/stable/modules/tm.html#id2550968

>   * New API (lookup_next_dest()) in registrar that allow you to work
>     through the set in order if a 430 is returned (API needs to remove
>     failed contacts from the location table) - again, similar to
>     dispatcher

There is t_next_contacts(), working on the set of avps built by
t_load_contacts() -- again, it need some enhancements, but probably not
hard work.

Perhaps I can help on the above points, even do them myself, but I can't
give any timelines for the moment.

> And for being able to use outbound for NAT traversal on a single
> server (so no Edge proxies):
>
>   * Make registrar able to detect that the top Path-URI for the
>     contact is actually an interface on the local server, and if it
>     has an ;ob parameter and a flow token, set $du based on that.

Address in firth path will be used to set $du anyhow, not sure what the
flow token implies, but might be just done from config.