[sr-dev] Kamailio security in general

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Oct 31 15:22:55 CET 2013

On 31 Oct 2013, at 15:17, Peter Dunkley <peter.dunkley at crocodilertc.net> wrote:

> On 31 October 2013 14:07, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:
>

> Hitting me with my own argument and code, that's cheating Peter :-)
>

> It's fun to play dirty once in a while :-)
>
> Well, DMQ is one very strange and advanced module, I admit that. Like I said earlier I think my discussion now is more generic to how we communicate and build the product. I'm trying to change the attitude in a large group of stubborn engineers, including most of me, myself and I...
>

> I certainly favour having security (and easy to use security) as a goal.  But one of the things I like about Kamailio is the flexibility.  For example, secure signalling is harder to trace (that's kind of the point), so when building a network I will tend do so with security disabled (or at least not enforced) so that I can make sure I am happy with the routing, and then tighten things up before I let other people on it.
Again -

I have never ever said that we should disable the flexibility. Just that we need to start from another side, have a different perspective when we decide default configurations, when we write documentation, when we talk about the product. We want the product to grow and be used by more and more people. That will mean different types of people and even amongst the current crowd a little security would not hurt.

/O