[Serusers] REGISTER from SER

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Thu Dec 4 21:58:33 CET 2003

Greg,

I think I understand your scenario well. What I am not sure about is if
using REGISTER in this case is a good idea.

What I didn't mention in my previous email is that there will be
problem with authentication. REGISTER messages should be always
authenticated because they contain sensitive information and without
authentication bad guys can hijack calls to other people.

It is possible to send a REGISTER message through the FIFO interface, but if
the REGISTER message gets challenged then there is no easy way (read it
requires much more scripting/coding) to build a proper digest reply and
re-send the message. It can be written, but I am not sure it is worth it.

I think that you can achieve the same by modifying usrloc/aliases by hand
and then the PBXes do not have to register.

Note that some administrative actions would be necessary even if PBXes
would register with GATEWAY because you would have to provision your GATEWAY
server  with passwords they will be using.

So it will work like this:
When you install a new PBX for one of your customers, you need to create
an account for his anyway. When you create the account you can create
also a permanent usrloc record so the new PBX doesn't have to register.

All calls to the permanent usrloc records will be then sent to the new
PBX. If the PBX is only then the request will time out on GATEWAY and
the GATEWAY will send a 4xx to the PSTN.

So it works exactly as you describe, the only difference is that usrloc
records will be not created from REGISTER messages sent by PBXes, but by
you when creating the account.

Usrloc entries can be created/deleted in serweb or using the serctl utility.

Does it make sense to you ? (The problem with PBXes sending
REGISTER to GATEWAY is digest authentication).

   Jan.