[Serusers] encryption on authorization

Jan Janak J.Janak at sh.cvut.cz
Wed Jan 15 12:58:13 CET 2003

Hello, comments inline.

On 03-01 10:17, Karsten Knüttel wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> In a REGISTER case there is a HeaderField AUTHORIZATION. The usual
> encryption algorithm is "MD5".

  MD5 is used for hash computation, not for encryption.

> Is it possible to REGISTER without any encryption?

  There is no encryption used, the Authorization header field is used
  for authorization only, not for encryption.

> Please give a statement if I understood everything right or correct me:
>
> Digest Username   => not encrypted;
> realm                     =>not encrypted;
> URI                       =>not encrypted;
>
> Nonce                   => encrypted  => is Password?
> Response               => encrypted  => what´s that?

  Nonce is a string generated by the server, client uses the string to compute
  response.

  Response is a string computed by the client, among other things, it is a
  hash of username, password and so on. The server then recalculates the
  response and if it is same, the user is authenticated.

   regards, Jan.