[Serusers] Firewall

jaime.gill at orange.co.uk jaime.gill at orange.co.uk
Tue May 6 15:52:35 CEST 2003

Hello,

If you are really interested in having SER within a natted network or running on
the firewall/nat itself, may be you could give a try to the fcp module. It
relies on a client side which is added as a module to SER, and a server side,
running on the firewall/nat (with iptables).

The module keeps track of sessions similar to a b2bua. When a new request for a
session comes (INVITE, SUBSCRIBE, MESSAGE, etc.) from an internal client, the
fcp module learns the external IP address and a port on the firewall and makes
several changes to the SIP message. In the current implementation, Contact and
SDP can be changed before sending any request through the firewall/nat. When
flow. Ports are closed after expiration of rules or because of CANCEL/BYE are
issued from any of the end points.

This has been tested so far in the following scenario:

SIP UA1 ----- SER+fcp module ------ NAT/FW(fcpd) --------- SER ----------- SIP
UA2

With the current version of fcpd  (http://www.iptel.org/fcp/) I have not been
successful in establishing a media connection, but you might be luckier :)

However, the previous version worked for me in several occasions (I could hear
audio to and from SIP UA1/SIP UA2).

If your are interested in giving it a try, let me know and we see how far we
get.

Jaime

"Hans Scheffers" <hans.scheffers at xs4all.nl> on 06/05/2003 13:32:16