[Serusers] make prefix=/non/usr/local install

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Sun Apr 25 20:45:49 CEST 2004

Thanks a lot for the report, fixing this is hardly possible (the problem
can arise with other make parameters as well), but I put the following
explanation into INSTALL file:

Note: If you use prefix parameter in make install then you also need
to use this parameter in previous make commands, i.e. make, make modules,
or make all. If you fail to do this then SER will look for the default
configuration file in a wrong directory, because the directory of the
default configuration file is hardcoded into ser during compile time.
When you use a different prefix parameter when installing then the
directory hardcoded in ser and the directory in which the file will be
installed by make install will not match. (You can specify exact location
of the configuration file using -f parameter of ser).

For example, if you do the following:
make all
make prefix=/ install

Then the installation will put the default configuration file into
/etc/ser/ser.cfg (because prefix is /), but ser will look for the file
in /usr/local/etc/ser/ser.cfg (because there was no prefix parameter
in make all and /usr/local is the default value of prefix).

Workaround is trivial, use the same parameters in all make commands:
make prefix=/ all
make prefix=/ install

That applies to other make parameters as well (for example parameters
"modules" or "excluded_modules").

  Jan.