[Serusers] Ser with Cisco's IP Phones

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at portaone.com
Wed Jan 28 04:29:23 CET 2004

Gregory D. Burns wrote:

> Guys,
>

> I’m researching the best SIP IP Phone to use with SER. I like the
> Cisco’s IP phones, the cheapest model being 7902G. Has anyone tested
> these phones with SER, or can recommend a good Hardware SIP IP Phone to
> be used in the office and in café’s. Thanks.

I believe that 7902G doesn't support SIP. The cheapest model with SIP is
7905G, it works like a charm with SER in our lab. Really sweet and very
well designed phone.

Please note that by default it comes with Call Manager firmware, and it
is not very easy to upgrade to SIP, as in default configuration it has
web-interface locked out and the only way to change firmware to a SIP
one is to use bootp+tftp server. Also, when ordering phone make sure to
order 48V DC power supply for it, by default it comes without one, as it
is designed to use power-over-ethernet available on Cisco Catalyst
switches (unless of course you are planning to connect it to such switch).

-Maxim