[Serusers] Voice Mail options for an SER environment

Steve Blair blairs at isc.upenn.edu
Sat Jul 17 21:05:10 CEST 2004

Juha Heinanen wrote:

>Jamey Hicks writes:
>
> > Yes, that would also work.  For all I know, our setup also supports
> > that.  I think it's much more convenient for the users to have a
> > separate number for accessing voicemail.
>
>that is what many mobile operators do, but it means doubling the number
>of phone numbers.  also, users needs to remember two numbers instead of
>one.

It depends. We have a well known, single number for accessing voice
mail. If you
are calling from your on campus extension a call to the voicemail number
dumps
you into your mailbox. Otherwise you get the general greeting and a
chance to
select a mailbox and sign-in.

Our users like this because many people interact with the mailbox while
away from
their desks. Of course if we implement a find-me function in the proxy
then users
may not need to access the voicemail system in the same fashion. Time
will tell.

-Steve