[Serusers] SEMS Voicemail Vs SER vm module

Steve Blair blairs at isc.upenn.edu
Sat Jul 24 13:25:57 CEST 2004

Koyama:

   First if SEMS messages for Koyama are to be delivered to
zehi_koyama at yahoo.com then this email address must be present in the
subscriber record on the SER proxy for Koyama. The subscriber
email_address field is where SEMS looks for the destination address
to which to send email.

   Next, where to run SER & SEMS. I happen to run everything on the
same machine. SER listens on port 5060, SER_VM on 5090 and SEMS
interacts with SER_VM via the fifo defined in it's configuration file.

   SER_VM is an intermediary between SER and SEMS. I did this
because I want SER to use a failure_route route block to forward
unanswered calls to a specific destination. However since this destination
must be specified as a <hostname:port> and SEMS doesn't listen on a
port I need somewhere to send the call. SER_VM does this. It is a
second instance of SER with only enough logic to handle the "voicemail"
request.

   In my case this logic allows users to send a message to the SEMS
voicemail application, contact the SEMS announcement application where they
get a general University status message or contact the SEMS echo
application to perform an echo test. Most calls so far are going right
to voicemail.

   I hope this helps.

-Steve