[Serusers] pa module does not always send OK before NOTIFY

JAY ALLISON jay.allison at adtran.com
Wed Jun 16 21:09:06 CEST 2004

I have searched the archive for an answer to this question, and I did not find it.  If I missed, I apologize.  Please point me in the right direction.

I am having a problem with the pa module of ser (0.8.12).  Using ethereal, I see that in response to a SUBSCRIBE, ser will sometimes send an OK and then a NOTIFY.  However, other times ser sends the NOTIFY and then the OK.  For a single UA sending multiple SUBSCRIBE's to ser, about half of the OK's are sent first and about half of the NOTIFY's are sent first.

This is a problem because I am running the UA behind a SIP-aware firewall which expects the OK first.  If the OK is not received, the NOTIFY will not be allowed back through the firewall.

Looking at RFC 3265, 3.1.4.1:
"This SUBSCRIBE request will be confirmed with a final response.  200-class responses indicate that the subscription has been accepted, and that a NOTIFY will be sent immediately."

Looking at RFC 3265, 3.1.6.2:
"Upon successfully accepting or refreshing a subscription, notifiers MUST send a NOTIFY message immediately to communicate the current resource state to the subscriber.  This NOTIFY message is sent on the same dialog as created by the SUBSCRIBE response.
<snip>
Note that a NOTIFY message is always sent immediately after any 200-class response to a SUBSCRIBE request, regardless of whether the subscription has already been authorized."

My interpretation is that the RFC requires the OK to be sent first.  Is that a valid interpretation?

Is there an easy fix for this (perhaps in ser.cfg) or will this require a code change?

Thanks,

Jay