[Serusers] asterisk server

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Mar 28 09:02:24 CEST 2004

I would agree with the comments below, with the exception that
Asterisk is certainly no longer a "one-man show".  While there is
still one person that gates the code into the CVS tree, there are
several dozen active participants in the project from a "writing
code" perspective.  The Asterisk bug/feature tracker system is
practically bursting with new data, patches, and applications every
day.

Asterisk is not a "reference" platform, that is certain.
Documentation is thin, in-line comments are thinner, and the (very,
very active) user community is the primary resource for learning the
system.

That being said, I use Asterisk for many tasks and have been thrilled
with it's versatility.  Asterisk is a chameleon.  It has many
different features with surprising depth, and an Asterisk server can
turn itself into a system that looks like a very expensive
"appliance".  As noted, it has a very nice IVR system.  It has a
reasonably decent voicemail system.  It has support for extremely
inexpensive PRI interface boards, making a super-cheap media gateway.
It can do translation between codecs, between protocols, between
NAT/non-NAT networks, and between physical interfaces.  Any one of
these functions can be reproduced by a box costing ten times as
much... but why not use Open Source?  Asterisk can do all of them.
If you have a small environment, then Asterisk may be all you need
since it does pretty much everything well at the bottom end of the
scale for size.

If you have an "enterprise" (more than several hundred users) then
SER is a better SIP server, and is better at "routing" calls from
place to place.   Asterisk has a role in this type of deployment, as
perhaps an application server or media gateway, but with the
advancement of some of the add-ons to SER, perhaps this is becoming
more a matter of taste than of administrative sensibility.  SER will
route calls more efficiently and at a higher speed, but if you don't
have those requirements, I'd suggest you set up an Asterisk server
and see if that meets your needs.

At some point in the near future (1 year?) the comparison between
Asterisk and SER will be similar to the arguments I hear about "What
is the 'better' game, checkers or chess?"  (before you answer that so
quickly, do some research on the question and you'll see the answer
is not as obvious as it sounds.)

JT