[Serusers] Advice on a dynamic SIP routing solution

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul pelinescu-onciul at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Oct 27 17:09:24 CEST 2004

On Oct 27, 2004 at 22:39, Ray Jackson <ray at jacksonz.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I am writing for some advice from the list.  We have been happily using Ser for
> the last few months, but now we want to build a pair of SIP-based
> Network/Routing servers that are capable of making dynamic routing decisions
> based on both the A and B party numbers.  Ideally we would like a solution
> which could return a 302 redirect to a specific gateway address and/or perform
> digit manipulation on the B party number if necessary.  Ideally we would also
> want to manipulate these rules dynamically without having to restart the SIP
> server (i.e. using a database or similar to store our routing rules).
>
> I'm not aware of any Ser modules that can do this type of thing, but if anybody
> has any suggestions of good products/solutions - either open source or
> commercial that would suit our needs then I would appreciate the advice.
>
> Also, am I right in thinking now that Ser can 'reload' it's config without
> having to restart the daemon?

No, it cannot.

> If so, and we did something where we wrote a
> script to generate a Ser config with static routing rules followed by a Ser
> 'reload' - how many routing rules realistically could we have in the Ser Config
> before performance becomes an issue? (10's, 100's, 1000's?)

It depends what are you routing after. If you use ips it won't be a
problem. If you use regular expressions to match some parts of the
message then it's for sure more than 10, but I have no ideea if it would
be fast enough for 1000.
Just write a config with 1000 routes and give it a try :-)

Andrei