[Serusers] STUN server

Lucas Aimaretto lucas at cyneric.com
Thu Apr 7 23:03:53 CEST 2005

> so, you're

> configure

> >> If there is no symmetric NAT and I have installed STUN and
> >> Mediaproxy on my server. Which one will have higher priority
> >> to handle this call session? Is it always STUN? Of course if
> >> I don't need to pass the call to PSTN gateway. Just IP-phone
> >> to IP-phone. Can you set the priority in ser.cfg? and how?
>
> LA> It is not a matter of priorities. It depends on how you get your
> LA> mediaproxy configured. You need to be aware that nated clients
> LA> should use the media proxy, because of the nat problem.
> But, if your
> LA> client can find ( using stun for example ) his public
> ip/port, then,
> LA> from mediaproxy point of view, this client is not nated,
> and so, it
> LA> needs not treatment ( no fixing from part of media proxy ).
>
> LA> You can always do this: Get every traffic proxied along
> mediaproxy.
> LA> But, if clients can talk to each other being able to bypass
> LA> mediaproxy, why should you proxy your communications ???
>
> LA> Hope to be clear
>
> LA> Regards,
>
> LA> Lucas
>

> Thank you, it makes sence.
> It would be the best solution I'd say, but it reminds me
> JavaRocks statement that STUN makes problems in some
> circumstances.. Just wondering what problems? Maybe some UA's
> not supporting STUN?

The only circumstances that I know where STUN does not help is when the
UA is located behind a symmetric nat. In the othre 3 cases of nat, it
should help you just fine. Or if the clients do not implement a good
stun-client or the stun server does not implement the protocol
correctly. But, let say that every body follows the standars ( JA!, ask
cisco ) ... you should not have problems at all.

Regards,

Lucas