[Serusers] CPL proxy timeout

Terry Wilson otherwiseguy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 19:00:27 CET 2005

Sorry for a touch of a cross-post (I posted a similar quetion to
serdev), but I don't know if I should have posted to ser-users instead
in the first place.  Again, my apologies.

I have previously ready posts about the CPL proxy timeout value being
ignored because of a lack of ability in the tm module.  After reading
some posts about being able to set dynamic invite timers via avp, it
looks like tm should handle this type of thing fine.  (Again forgive
me, I have only started sifting through the SER code this week--trying
to wrap my head around it all).  Since tm can support dynamic timers,
is there a way to modify the cpl handling code to set the  callee
invite timer to the value in the CPL proxy timeout?

I ask because we are currently routing all calls from endpoints
through ser, to one of several asterisk boxes to handle the dialplan
(ring phone for n seconds then do x type stuff), and then back out to
ser.  Since asterisk isn't a sip proxy, you get all kinds of fun
problems when a call is routed in such a way that one leg is on one
asterisk box, and the other on another and then a transfer takes
place.  We would love to be able to handle all of our dialplan stuff
in CPL, but have to be able to do things like "Call my phone for 10
seconds, then ring these 3 phones for 10 seconds if I don't answer",
etc.   It looks like CPL should handle this kind of thing
perfectly--except setting the timeout for a call to roll to noanswer
based on destination.  I can't be setting these rules directly in the
ser.cfg because I have lots of endpoints, and they can change how long
their phone rings etc. through a web interface.

Is this type of behaviour already supported in some other way?  Is it
possible to relatively easily add the proxy timeout support to CPL by
having it set the timeout using AVP?  (btw, what does that acronym
stand for?)  Are there not many people that would benefit from this
type of modification (i.e. do I need to brush up on my C skills :-) )?
 Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!