[Serusers] pa and some things I've noticed, using ser 0.9.0

Jamey Hicks jamey.hicks at hp.com
Fri Feb 11 00:22:07 CET 2005

Conny Holzhey wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running ser on a port diffrent from 5060, and I found some
> confusing behaviour when dealing with presence. I've set the port in
> the ser.cfg file to 5059.
>
> When sending a PUBLISH message, it seems that I have to specify the
> port number in the message start-line, i.e. the message starts with
> PUBLISH sip:conny at 192.168.123.2:5059 SIP/2.0, and then ser answers
> with 200 ok. If I skip the port number, I get a 408, Request Timeout.
> Is there some configuration I'm missing that would fix this? Or is
> this the correct behaviour? Actually I don't think that there should
> be a port number in the PUBLISH, as this is mixing my (client)
> Request-URI with the server port number. But I'm not sure, because so
> far I've tested my client only on the same machine than the server,
> and this is sometimes a bit confusing....
>
> Same thing seems to be with REGISTER, and SUBSCRIBE, i.e. sending
> SUBSCRIBE sip:user at 192.168.123.2:5059 SIP/2.0 works for some reason.

Well, at least they are all consistent. Please take a look at the Via
headers to see if there port is being specified there. My understanding
is that the response should go to the URI in the first Via. Is that not
the behavior you are seeing?

> When I get a NOTIFY from ser, there is a minor issue with the pidf
> document, the tuple start tag looks like <tuple id="9r28r49">ser">

I'll take a look at this, but please send me an sample of the complete
PUBLISH and NOTIFY messages.

> When sending a subscribe with a header Expires: 0, ser seemingly
> doesn't send a NOTIFY. This makes sense, as this is used to indicate
> that the client wants to un-subscribe. On the other hand RFC 3856 says:
>
>> The subscriber can terminate the subscription by sending a SUBSCRIBE,
>> within the dialog, with an Expires header field (which indicates
>> duration of the subscription) value of zero. This causes an
>> immediate termination of the subscription. A NOTIFY request is then
>> generated by the presence agent with the most recent state.

I think I know why this is going wrong. I'll add it to my list of things
to do on the PA. I've just been working on some issues with it.

> Is there somewhere a public server running ser/pa that I could use for
> testing my command-line PUA?

I will set up a test account for you on one that I'm running.

Jamey