[Serusers] Help - ser won't start while installing

Dana Olson rickaster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 17:37:53 CET 2005

I downloaded the 0.8.14 Debian packages and tried installing them.

I know that they work, since they worked fine on my other system, but
this one (which is almost identical, save for the NIC) doesn't work.

Here is what happens in the console:

# dpkg -i ser_0.8.14_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package ser.
(Reading database ... 10117 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking ser (from ser_0.8.14_i386.deb) ...
Setting up ser (0.8.14) ...
Restarting ser: ser

It just hangs there forever. I checked the end of /var/log/messages
but there are no messages from ser there.

I would try reinstalling Debian from scratch, but the server itself is
in another country, and I'm trying to install SER remotely over SSH.

I've tried rebooting which didn't help (although I didn't expect it would).

I searched on Google and the closest thing I could find was invalid
syntax in the ser.cfg script, but this is the initial package
install...

Please, please help me out.

--
Dana