[Serusers] Session-Timers for Prepaid

'Jan Janak' jan at iptel.org
Fri Jul 8 23:47:15 CEST 2005

On 08-07-2005 21:24, Stuart Kirkwood - Jubilee Consultancy Limited wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> My solution for disconnecting calls where the customer has run out of credit
> is to use SER to generate a BYE to the gateway. I use exec_dset and exec_msg
> from ser.cfg to store in a MySQL table some fields from the INVITE and ACK
> messages that setup the call.  Then I have a process which runs periodically
> on my server that queries the table to find calls that need to be
> disconnected and generates, using the SER fifo, a BYE message to the Cisco
> gateway which disconnects the call.  Not very elegant solution but it
> appears to work and I don't have to handle the media stream.  I could also
> send a BYE to the phone but I don't do that at the moment.
>
> Please could you tell us about how you are solving this problem in
> production systems?  I expect you have a more elegant and professional
> solution.

  We do not do it. We specialize in the core SIP infrastructure for big
  setups and our customers typically do not need to terminate calls
  (either because their users have to subscribe to the service or they
  have flat-rate plans).

  In my opinion there is no way prepaid calling can survive in long
  term. Prices of PSTN calls will keep falling, more and more calls will
  be pure IP and the rest will be covered by flat rate monthly fees. It's
  happening now and it will be more and more common in the future.

    Jan.