[Serusers] DNS Resolution of SDP-"Connection Address" at SER

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Sun Jun 12 11:11:39 CEST 2005

Zeus Ng wrote:
> Forcing SER to do stuff in order to fix problem UA implementation, I
> don't think this is a good approach. Using FQDN as connection
> information in SDP is the recommended approach in RFC 2327, though
> few UA do this. I would suggest you contact the vendor to fix the UA
> that can't work with DNS.

Well, we already do help the UA with nathelper, right?  The thing is, the
telco model is to control all the components that are part of the service,
often dump endpoints and a smart (and complicated) network. The Internet
model is to have smart endpoints and a "dump" (simple) network.  When a
standard has not matured enough, you get all sorts of endpoints.  I don't
think helping them out a bit is that bad. It is bad if you get a complicated
and hard to maintain network (i.e. ser.cfg).  However, this is short-term,
until the dust settles and the endpoints start to behave.

> Have a look on the fix_nated_sdp() function in nathelper. I haven't
> tried this before but it might work. However, there is no guarantee.
> Let us know if it works.

It will be better chance to develop the functionality in a new module. If
this is of interest to anybody else, making a separate module means you can
submit it as a contribution and maintain it yourself.  If you extend
nathelper, you have to convince the maintainer to take it on and take over
maintainance...
g-)