[Serusers] (open)SER and ICE

Nils Ohlmeier lists at ohlmeier.org
Wed Nov 30 22:27:17 CET 2005

Hi,

short version: you do not need to change or update anything on the server side
to get ICE support working.

In more details:
First  of all ICE is still a draft, and no end in sight yet.
Secondly, good luck in finding two interoperable UA with ICE support! :-)
UA's with ICE support will advertise all their possible IP addresses in the
SDP. As long as the proxies do not change theses additional addresses, but
only the address in the m-line everything works fine and transparent. And I
think (and hope) that the current nathelper modules only touch the m-line and
no other IP addresses in the SDP.
When the other UA sees the additional addresses in SDP, it will probe these
addresses. The address which answers first will be used for media. And
normally a local address should always be faster then any address which goes
through the Internet or even relayed (like with an RTP proxy).
What you are probably thinking of is, that an UA with ICE support could also
advertise its IP address and port of the RTP proxy, but this is then called
TURN. And I think that is even more far away from becoming a standard,
besides that their are AFAIK no UA's or TURN servers available yet.

Hope this helps
  Nils