[Serusers] t_check_status in failure_route

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Sat Sep 10 08:07:36 CEST 2005

Richard Z writes:

 > I have some private code to treat 487 as the lowest number. There were some
 > discussions about this in ser list before. Since there is no standard, ser
 > implementation just picked the the lowest code.

standard says:

It MUST choose from the 6xx class responses if any exist in the
context. If no 6xx class responses are present, the proxy SHOULD choose
from the lowest response class stored in the response context. The proxy
MAY select any response within that chosen class. The proxy SHOULD give
preference to responses that provide information affecting resubmission
of this request, such as 401, 407, 415, 420, and 484 if the 4xx class is
chosen.

so if response will be from class 4xx, proxy can pick any one of them.

 > I am not sure which way is better, pick 487 as lowest, or use
 > t_check_status. Any suggestion?

i prefer to be in control myself rather than trusting the proxy to do
a clever thing.  that means tests in ser.cfg.

-- juha