[Serusers] SER pa and XCAP server

Vaclav Kubart vaclav.kubart at iptel.org
Thu May 4 13:21:17 CEST 2006

Hi.

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 11:56:25AM +0100, Miguel Freitas wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm trying to get a SER with pa, rls and mysql modules to test it as a XCAP
> server, along with Apache2 webserver and eyeBeam softphone...
>
> At start, I ran into lots of info how to do it, and the presence handbook
> seamed to be a good way to start.
> I came across http://download.dns-hosting.info/XCAP/ which could get me
> where I wanted (but there's no reference to which version of SER used).

Nice page.

> But it was only the beginning of a long and hard struggle!
>
> I downloaded the sources ser-0.10.99-dev35-pa-4 from
> http://ftp.iptel.org/pub/ser/presence/ but I didn't manage to install it,
> later I realized that maybe I shouldn't be using the gcc 4.

What problems did you have? Can you post here output of compilation?

> So I moved on to the debian packages, but there isn't a release of the rls
> module!

Presence modules (new versions) are really not distributed with SER -
they are still "unstable" and thus they are not mixed to the rest.

> So I moved on to the sources of the latest release, ser-0.9.6. Still no rls
> module, I got it from ser-0.10.99-dev35-pa-4.
> But it has been a nightmare to config the ser.cfg because the module pa
> doesn't support some of the functions described on the presence handbook..

Presence handbook speaks about current presence snapshot
(ser-0.10.99-dev35-pa-4). And I'm afraid, that you can't mix together
new presence modules with old SER (use whole snapshot instead!).

> I abandoned ser-0.10.99-dev35-pa-4 because, among other things, the tool
> serctl was working with the older version of the SER database (trying to add
> new users to ser.subscriber instead of ser.credentials)

There is new version of serctl in tools/serctl working correctly.

> I could use some pin-points to where I should go now, if stick with
> ser-0.9.6 or move again to ser-0.10.99-dev35-pa-4 since it should be more
> what I'm looking for.

Use presence snapshot or CVS version - I recommend the snapshot, it is
described in presence handbook and there are samples of configuration.

	Vaclav