[Serusers] Fw: [Users] TM : retransmission timers

Greger V. Teigre greger at teigre.com
Wed Nov 8 13:16:02 CET 2006

Disclaimer: I am affiliated with SER, iptel.org and allthough attempting
to give an objective account from a user perspective, I will probably be
accused of being biased in many of the things I state.
-------------
You may want to read the SER - Getting Started document
http://www.iptel.org/ser/doc/gettingstarted
and especially:
http://siprouter.onsip.org/doc/gettingstarted/ch03.html

Since that was written, OpenSER has released 1.0 and 1.1, while SER is
now about to release its first major release since the fork.

I haven't followed OpenSER closely, so I cannot speak for it, but SER's
upcoming release addresses many of the major shortcomings found in
SER/OpenSER's shared roots, i.e. SER 0.9.x.  These changes include a
major rewrite of timers, as well as big improvement in the database model.

AFAIK, the module interfaces are still fairly similar, but a major
difference in how variables and message data is manipulated (thus
causing modules to be different): openser has further developed the
pseudo-variables introduced with avpops module, while SER has introduced
selects.  Which one you prefer is a matter of taste, but IMHO ser.cfg
for upcoming SER is greatly easier to read, as well as maintain compared
to the pseudo-variable approach, and it is my firm opinion that new
users will find SER more intuitive to use when they start getting their
teeth into SIP server configuration and maintenance.

As for documentation, the SER pre-release does not have complete
documentation, and yes, the documentation effort is lagging behind a
bit.  I'm in charge of that effort, and the goal is to have a
satisfactory set of documentation for the upcoming release.  The last
few months of improvements at iptel.org are evidence of that process.
OpenSER has focused on documentation and seems to have a fairly good
documentation.

Finally, to your wish of combining ser and openser: ser and openser have
some shared modules, but only where the developers have commited to
maintaining in both environments.  The cores are by now also quite far
apart.  So, as each project has its own priorities, expect some features
to developed in both (by different developers and different code), while
other features to be only found in one.

In the end, it boils down to which piece of software you feel satisfies
your needs, whether you have confidence in the project moving in the
direction you need, and whether the project will deliver the software in
a satisfactory, bug-free condition at the intervals you need.
g-)