[Serusers] How to test basic multicast support on LAN?

samuel samu60 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 13:57:40 CEST 2006

Multicast addresses are reserved addresses from 224.0.0.1 to
239.255.255.255 (i don't remember right now the upper limit so this
last IP might be wrong).

What you can try id to ping 224.0.0.1, which will make all multicast
aware hosts to reply because it's a special address (kind of broadcast
within the multicast).
If your SER host reply it means that your kernel is responding....

After that you can try to ping to the multicast address you have
ellected as your group to check which hosts are replying and you'll
get the multicast membership "report"...

If you want to cross your LAN thinhs get more complicated...

Samuel.