[Serusers] Which locking mechanism is useful for usrloc in production environment?

Vaclav Kubart vaclav.kubart at iptel.org
Thu Feb 1 12:41:36 CET 2007

Hi,
it probably highly depends on your OS and kernel.

I did performance testing on Debian linux with kernel 2.6.8 and it seems
to me, that all locking methods ("fast locking", sysV, pthreads, possix)
were approx. the same for "short" operations like transaction handling.

I did another testing on Centos based distro, with kernel 2.6.9 for
"long" operations like usrloc with slow DB and there most of the locking
methods were the same (sys V, pthreads, possix) but the "fast locking"
was significantly worse!

So ... I know that I have to run these tests on the same machines etc,
but for the first look it seems to me that whatever locking method than
"fast locking" will be OK. But this can be valid for Linux and quite new
kernel only; I don't absolutely now what about other OS.

	Vaclav