[Serusers] Getting rid of SIP URI in Caller ID

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Fri Jul 6 10:41:43 CEST 2007

At 22:57 03/07/2007, Charles Ulrich wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm fairly new to SER (just heard about it this afternoon), but I've
>already run up against a problem that's vexing me.
>
>We have a Polycom phone sitting behind a Linksys WRT54G router/firewall
>with DD-WRT firmware. This version of DD-WRT is the "voip" edition,
>meaning it has SER and rtpproxy installed to help ease NAT issues with
>SIP.

Hi Charles,

Is the 'voip edition' somewhere available? I would be eager to give it
a try on my WRT too.

I'm a bit sceptical how much we can do about it, since the URIs are part
of the SIP protocol machinery and it is up to discretion of a telephone
implementation to show what it wants to show (there is no standard for
what a telephone shall display).

IMO you are then left with experimenting and changing SIP requests in
a way that increases the chance that the phone shows what you want to
be shown. There is no guarantee however it will work for all phones
in a consistent way.

If I were you, I would try appending P-asserted-identity or Remote-Party-ID
header fields with tel URIs (benefit: use of a header field does not change
request URI, which might have side effects otherwise, and use of TEL
URI eliminates the domain). If that does not work, I would try to
put TEL URI in request-URI.

-jiri