[Serusers] Meaning of and proper response for a 401

Atle Samuelsen clona at cyberhouse.no
Thu Jul 12 14:49:51 CEST 2007

Hi,

> > First off, I thought a 410 was supposed to be unauthorised (what is
> > 'Gone' ?). Secondly... is the UA requesting our server to authorise its
> > reinvite, or is something else going on here I clearly don't follow?
> >
> And of course, I just realised that I'm apparently dyslexic and can't
> tell the difference between a 410 and a 401.
>
> However, my question still stands. What IS a 410 response (what RFC is
> it in?), and how should SER respond to it? Send a BYE? A CANCEL? Ignore
> it and hope it goes away?

Howdy :)

www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3261

21.4.10 410 Gone

   The requested resource is no longer available at the server and no
   forwarding address is known.  This condition is expected to be
   considered permanent.  If the server does not know, or has no
   facility to determine, whether or not the condition is permanent, the
   status code 404 (Not Found) SHOULD be used instead.

- Atle