[Serusers] Need a way to delete a URI parameter if present from the INVITE

Frank Durda IV frank.durda at hypercube-llc.com
Thu Sep 3 08:22:37 CEST 2009

Greger Viken Teigre wrote:
> Frank,
> I think you would benefit from looking at a later SER or sip-router (as
> I believe your own conclusion is right). Why not isolate your tricky
> stuff into a "tag-for-forwarding-to-my-trickbox" and then set up
> sip-router to handle those exceptions? You would also benefit from
> simplifying your core configs.
> g-)

Is there something later than SER 2.0.0-RC1 (what I am running) and if
so, where is it?  Or are you meaning switching to OpenSER which
seems to have had more recent development.  (I've already taken
some chunks of OpenSER and back-ported the features into SER.)

Is there actually something in this newer code you are thinking of that
will do what I need?  If so, what is it called and is there any
documentation?

As to the other suggestion, I already run dozens of separate instances
of SER not only to deal with the various wackiness out there, but mainly
because SER doesn't have a clean way of switching from the running
config file to a new one without disrupting everybody.  Kill/restart
just doesn't play well in the telco world.   So almost everybody gets
their own instance with all the baggage that brings along.  (Had
to bump the mysql connection limit way up.)  This solution sucks
but I see no nice way to to add or fix the traffic from one source
without bothering everybody else who is up and running as SER
exists today.  The language is just too limited to create rules
complex enough to just have flags in database that can be set
to indicate that that this call is from the guy where you have to
substitute this response code for another, or to tell me it is the
other guy who needs four guide digits stripped from the front of
the URI number, but not if the fifth digit isn't a 1 and the
connection is from this IP address range.  Oh, and there was the
guy last week whose high-dollar box can't cope with "npdi" and has
to have "npdi=yes".  (sheesh)  That sort of junk and plenty more
is what I have to panel-beat SER into handling every day.
I don't think I can pre-code enough tests and rules to deal with
all this crazy stuff in one unified ser,cfg file, not in advance
anyway.  None of that solves the problem at hand, it just allows me
to restrict whatever fix I eventually am able to get to just those
that need it and not disturb everybody else while I'm putting it
into service.

As i've already had to fix broken stuff rtpproxy and in nathelper
plus implement new flags and functions in both, so having to write
yet another function to perform the header clean-up that is needed
is certainly something I can do, but I would rather avoid
writing more stuff if functions exist to do the work already
plus I can get this problem solved a lot faster.

If you can point to a release or third-party hack that can do
what is needed (delete cic=nnnn), do let me know.   Thanks!