[SR-Users] Question about encryption with Kamailio

margot.basa margot.basa at laposte.net
Fri Aug 12 14:56:52 CEST 2011

Hello all,

I would like to use Kamailio to encrypt contents of SIP messages (using SIP TLS) between 2 endpoints, i.e.:
- To use 5061 port instead of 5060 port,
- To use sips uri instead of sip uri...

For example, T1 and T2 communicates with "Server A" like that:
1) T1 and T2 send REGISTER to "Server A"
2) T1 and T2 received 200 OK from "Server A"
3) "Server A" sends an INVITE message to T1 and T2
4) RTP flow between T1 and T2 (this should not be encrypted)
5) "Server A" sends a BYE request to T1 and T2

All those exchanges are made on Transport layer TCP or UDP on port 5060.
T1 and T2 are not able to support TLS but "Server A" needs to receive/send messages in SIP TLS.
I would like to insert Kamailio between T1 and "Server A", T2 and "Server B" in order to encrypt contents of SIP messages.

I have some questions about that:
- I think Kamailio can do that but I am not sure, can you confirm that to me please?
- Can I use Kamailio as it is to do that?
- Do I have to add a "Route" header in requests in order that requests between T1 and "Server A" go through Kamailio
or
- Does Kamailio is able to intercept SIP packets automatically (with a certain configuration)?
- Do you know difference between Freeswitch and Kamailio? (because I have seen that Freeswitch can do what I need:
see Figure4: http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/SIP_TLS)

Thank you very much for your input.
Regards

Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net