[SR-Users] [newbie] questions

Me mojo1736 at privatedemail.net
Wed Feb 1 00:33:01 CET 2012

>> start experimenting with basic call routing. Just take it one step
>> at a time, and as you encounter specific questions, post here
>> and I'm sure you'll get great help.
>
> I think that's all anyone was really saying:
>
> Either learn the technology yourself, but recognise that it will be a
> slow and incremental process, and nobody can just impart, in a gestalt
> sort of way, the entire universe of necessary knowledge up-front, or
> procure commercial help, if efficiency/speed is the primary concern.
I have absolutely no objection to that - I though I set it out pretty
clearly in my initial post. I am no expert, so the learning curve would
be even steeper for me, but it won't be the first time I am doing this
sort of thing, so I am not afraid to take that path, if needed.

What I am not going to do though, is spent my time, energy and resources
on something, just to find out midway through that it is not what I need
or for some reason or other what I want cannot be achieved. My initial
post on this thread served this very purpose - to gauge an opinion from
people who possess more knowledge on the subject than myself and see if
what I want to do is possible with Kamailio or any of the other
(similar, in my view) products I listed in that post. It is the reason
why I detailed my setup, so that opinions can be canvassed.

Admittedly, I forgot to mention 2 things, which I sort of taken for
granted, but reading through I thought to mention this, just in case:

1. My eth0 interface (the one which connects me to the "outside" world)
does not have a public IP address - it is connected to DHCP server of my
ISP and obtains a private IP address. That ultimately means whatever
system/software/product I use, it needs to find my public IP address
(through STUN or other such means) and do a proper NAT. I take it this
is possible with Kamailio, right?

2. As a matter of policy, all voice calls regardless of whether they are
made internally (among ourselves) or to/from the public, are recorded
and stored on that server. Is Kamailio capable of doing such thing or do
I have to use some other means of obtaining that feature?

So, to summarise once again: at this stage I need to find out whether
what I want to achieve is possible if I use Kamailio. If the answer is a
resounding "yes" and there are no other - better, less painful and
complex alternatives out there (and by that I don't mean "getting a
consultant"!) - then I am ready to delve in and tackle these issues head
on.

I have no illusions that it would be an easy ride - I realise that my
understanding of Kamailio is almost nil, so the learning curve would be
steep. That is why I want to make sure that I am not wasting my time for
something, which ultimately won't fit or satisfy my needs.

To conclude this, I am grateful for your other - more detailed - post,
but I would be able to digest its content once I am certain that the
path I need to take with Kamailio is the right one for me. Thanks again.