[SR-Users] Dispatcher question

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Nov 9 17:35:39 CET 2012

What you are asking for is not possible within the semantics of SIP, and
also not technically viable, because the UAC that sent the initial
INVITE request is going to receive replies from a place other than the
one to which it send the request.  If that UA is properly implemented,
it will not process such replies.

If the initial INVITE transaction is initiated through the proxy, it
must complete through the proxy.  Those are just the rules of the protocol.

If you don't want sequential (in-dialog) requests, such as BYEs,
reinvites, UPDATEs, etc. to go between the UAs directly and not through
the proxy, you can do that: just don't add a Record-Route header (take
out the record_route() call, if you have it).

However, as to the initial transaction, it must complete through the proxy.

-- Alex