[SR-Users] question about nat_uac_test

Wed Jan 8 11:53:54 CET 2014

On 07.01.2014 16:54, Brian Davis wrote:
> The other interesting issue in this case is that the 192.xx.xxx.xxx
> address is not an RFC1918 address, but it is also not reachable from

I should have known that if it is an RFC1918 address, you would not have
to mask it.

> kamailio.   That is why I hoped kamailio would trigger NAT traversal
> logic solely on the fact that the source and contact address are different.

Here is my very pragmatic approach for NAT traversal: Forget about
nat_uac_test(). Just always force NAT traversal [1], as it does not harm
if the users are not behind NAT. It may increase traffic on your media
relay but reduces support calls from customers.

Probaly the elegant solutions would be to apply NAT traversal only for
SIP and use SIP client with ICE support (and provide a turn relay).

regards
Klaus

[1] use add_contact_alias(), handle_ruri_alias() and
fix_nated_register(). Do not use fix_nated_contact(). Further, apply NAT
traversal only if the clients are directly "connected" to your proxy
(not if there are other devices inbetween).