[SR-Users] Possible GPL violation by third party (4PSA)

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 17:44:31 CEST 2014

Hello,

we have been discussion on management groups since this morning to
understand the issue and see what can be done. However, it seems that a
link to the sources has been published in the forum pointed by the link
in the email. Perhaps that closes this specific case.

Anyhow, for sake of getting some clarifications for the future ...

Starting with the remark that none of us are lawyers, so we recommend
that everyone in a similar situation should seek professional advice,
the GPL sets the contraint of distributing the source code along with
binaries between a vendor/person (let's say entity) using GPL software
and its clients. If the binaries are made public to everyone via open
web/ftp/etc servers, my personal understanding is that source code
should be made available as well or at least upon request by interested
people. If the binaries were purchase and were accessible only via some
commercial relation, only the one that purchased the binaries is
entitled to ask for source code.

Kamailio project itself can assist by testifying it is indeed a GPLv2
software (if needed, being something public is easy to check), but I
don't think it can enforce it or get in between two foreign entities,
without any relation to the developers holding GPL copyright. Again, my
understanding.

To anyone being interested to read more, here are some links that could
be useful (thanks to the people in the management groups of the project
that pointed them to me):
- http://gpl-violations.org
- https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.en.html

Also, if somebody has remarks or links to related resource to
contribute, please do it, they can be valuable for everyone in the
community.

We hope that everyone out there will play honest and follow GPL rules,
so it will be no need for complex actions by any of the users of
Kamailio project. It is an open collaboration environment and we aim for
a fair ecosystem.