[SR-Users] Specifying Upstream and Downstream Servers for a simple SIP proxy

AliReza Khoshgoftar Monfared khoshgoftar at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 15:28:15 CEST 2014

Dear Kamailio users,

I am trying to set up a simple scenario as follows:

UAC --> Proxy_1 --> Proxy_2 --> Proxy_3 --> UAC

I am new to Kamailio and had the following basic questions that came to my
mind after reading the documentation an the default kamilio.cfg config
script:

1) Is there any good example of the above scenario in which the UAC and UAS
(caller and callee) are modeled using SIPp and proxies are simple kamailio
instances run on different machines that simply forward the SIP packets?

2) In specific, I want the proxies to simply forward the messages to their
downstream (I do not care about registration or other operations and look
for a minimally working simple SIP scenario). Is there any example of such
configuration?

3) Let's imagine Proxy_2 in the above example, in the default config, it
looks like that with modifying line 164, "listen=udp:10.0.0.10:5060" I can
specify the address of its upstream, Proxy_1, but how and where shall I set
the specifications of the downstream, Proxy_3?

I suspect it is somewhere in the Routing Logic block (line 449) but not
sure how it is exactly done. I see a "route(SIPOUT)" call for example but I
am not sure how and where the value of SIPOUT is modified. Is it a
representation of the downstream servers in the config file?

Thanks,
Alireza