[SR-Users] about xml rpc response behavior

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 07:43:40 CEST 2016

Hello,

the concern I have is that the return in the params of the result should
be data, not a response code embedded in a form or another.

For example, if you do rpc list dispatcher records, then there is no
return code, just the list of the records. The command was successful as
well.

If the command is to reload the dispatcher records, then it is indeed no
data returned. But the http return code is 200ok.

I don't see a benefit in embedded the return code in the returned
structure, in my opinion that is not the purpose of the rpc response
structure. If there is an error, then the fault code is returned, based
on xmlrpc specs.

If there are people that want to embed return code, I am fine as long as:

- that is made a configuration option.
- it is made consistent somehow across all commands, so one would know
what to expect.

I would also try to see if other well established applications (not sip
related) do for similar cases with rpc.