[SR-Users] SEMS license with kamailio and rtpengine

Seven Du dujinfang at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 00:16:12 CET 2022

I have some questions on this, e.g. on Kamailio:

1. The core and some modules is GPL. I packaged that without change, and
sell to a customer. and when the customer asks for source, I told him to
download from the kamailio website, since I didn't change anything. Is
that correct?

2. I can also host the source on my own website, with some more helper
scripts for building and packaging. That should be better?

3. I write a new module, 100% code wrote from scratch, just follow the
module guidelines or example code to expose/add hooks to core,  dynamically
loaded into kamailio. Do I need to use GPL or can it be any license or even
closed source? can I sell the standalone module in binary?

4. my module still should be GPL since I have to call GPL code in kamailio
source, e.g. string functions in core. or maybe it's ok if string functions
in kamailio core is BSD?

5. If my module link to a 3rd party lib (e.g. libclosed-source.so or
libclosed-source.a I think there's no difference?) which is not open source
(but free to sell), can I sell it w/o the source of libclosed-source ?

6. If answer to 5 is yes, I can write my own libclosed-source and sell with
whatever license?

7. Regards to KEMI, if I write routing scripts with Lua (compiled with
luac) and sell to a customer, should I open source the Lua code? The Lua
code calls Kamailio core functions which might be GPL.

Thanks. I don't mean to violate the GPL, just want to be clear and easier
to understand the license.

On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 9:05 PM Henning Westerholt <hw at gilawa.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> (just to add the obvious disclaimer that this is not legal advice, I am
> not a lawyer).
>
> > [Would it be ok] if it were [using] a standalone service to which
> Kamailio interfaced using very narrowly confined and general-purpose
> communication channels?
>
> I do not think there is a problem regarding to the GPL in this case.
> Interfacing over SIP/HTTP/RPC/XMLRPC or other standard mechanism to a
> dedicated process would not establish a close coupling between Kamailio and
> the other code.

I think it's correct. e.g. if you use evapi or http to talk to your service
you don't have to open source your service code.

About: http://about.me/dujinfang
Blog: http://www.dujinfang.com
Proj:  http://www.freeswitch.org.cn