[SR-Users] Logs suddenly inundated with qm_malloc errors

George Diamantopoulos georgediam at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 12:13:40 CET 2022

Hello all,

I'm testing out release 5.6.2 on one production kamailio instance, and
today our monitoring system triggered an alarm for lack of disk space on /.
Indeed, kamailio.log started growing at an alarming rate at some point.

At about the same time disk space started being depleted, the following
line was frequently logged in the logs (no instances of it before that
time):

qm_malloc(): qm_malloc(0x7f5ade9c0010, 536) called from rtpengine:
bencode.c: __bencode_piece_new(79), module: rtpengine; Free fragment not
found!

They don't only concern rtpengine, core has produced similar "free fragment
not found" errors as well. There's additional multiple "had header field",
"bad header" and "invalid header name" errors appearing after that too, but
I'm guessing that's only a symptom of the qm_malloc issue?

kamailio is started with -m 2048 -M 16 and there's another instance with
almost identical traffic and configuration, but running on 5.6.1, which has
never exhibited such failures in several months uptime. So I'm wondering,
is there anything in 5.6.2 that could explain this? Thanks!

Best regards,
George